If you wish to start your process of family reunification and have questions about the application, see them answered below.
Portugal is not only a great place to retire, but it is also a good choice for you to move in with your family. Although with plenty of planning involved it could be a serious life change, but you will realize that Portugal is a warm, healthy, hard-working country that welcomes everyone.
1. I want to bring my family, currently living abroad, to Portugal to live with me. Is that possible?
Yes, it is. The Portuguese legislation recognizes the right to family reunification with family members living outside Portugal. There’s no limitation of family members, however, your kids must be younger than 18 or dependent upon you throughout the 5 years of the visa application.
2. Is the request of Golden Visa Family Reunion valid for any member?
The law considers the following members to be granted the Golden Visa status:
- The applicant’s spouse;
- Minor dependent children;
- Minors adopted by the applicant or by the couple;
- Dependant parents;
- Family members that are under the applicant’s custody.
3. I am holding a Portuguese Student Permit, can my family join me?
Non-EU nationals holding a Portuguese Student Permit are eligible to be accompanied by parents, minor or dependent children, or the spouse's children, or any minor children adopted. You will need to provide proof of their partnership and they will need to apply for the visas and permits they need.
4. Can I request family reunification for my 21-year-old son?
The Law allows the Family Reunification with children fully aged (+18) if they comply with the following:
- Dependant on the couple or one of the partners;
- If they are single;
- If they are studying in Portugal.
5. How long after obtaining my residence permit can I request the Portugal Golden Visa Family Reunion?
The Law doesn’t establish a minimum period to apply for family reunification, and you may apply for both residence permit and visa family reunification at the same time.
6. What happens if my relatives die or move abroad?
You are eligible to apply for an autonomous resident permit within the initial two-year reunion visa period in exceptional cases like divorce or death of a member to which your golden visa family reunification is tied. In these cases, you will be requested to submit specific documentation.
7. Can my relatives join if I have a temporary residence permit?
Your relatives can apply for family reunification for the same duration as your temporary permit (issued for a maximum period of 5 years). Your relatives will be granted a renewable permit, though they have to prove that they have sufficient funds when applying.
8. Can I bring my partner who I am not married to when applying?
Yes. The Golden Visa Family Reunion is allowed with a non-marital partnership, whether the partner is inside or outside the country; nevertheless, the relationship must be recognized under the law.
If you have questions about the Golden Visa Portugal application, read more here.
Note: the information above was written with our best efforts, through factual sources. Nonetheless, it is not intended to be a substitute for consulting the applicable legislation.
- The best time to apply for a Portugal Golden Visa 2021
- How do After Sales services take care of overseas investments?
About Portugal Homes
PortugalHomes.com specializes in investments through Real Estate and Golden Visa. We help buyers find the right property overseas, whether it be for Golden Visa, NHR, Investment or simply a place in the sun. Our properties are selected with great thought in mind to give our clients the best opportunities. We offer the complete service from introducing them to the Legal Representatives, Currency Exchange, Mortgage Advisors, Property Management, Rental and Furniture Packages along with making sure all our staff are trained to fully understand the buying process and taxes for every scenario. Portugal Homes provides the complete service to anyone looking to buy a new or resale property overseas for holiday use or as a short or long-term investment.
To find out more, please contact us:
Phone: +351 213 471 603